the President of the United States angered many doctors by taking an outing to greet his supporters even though he is hospitalized because of the coronavirus.
UNITED STATES – The image of a president had to be portrayed at all costs. On Sunday, October 4, Donald Trump briefly greeted Covid 19 his supporters from his car outside the hospital, an exit too risky for the other occupants of the vehicle according to medical experts, on the eve of a possible return of the US president to the White House.
Because this initiative surprised and aroused strong criticism, in particular related to the risk for the agents of the Secret Service – the protection agents of the American president – accompanying him.
“This is madness”
“Everyone in the vehicle during this completely unnecessary presidential outing must be quarantined for 14 days,” said James Phillips of the George Washington University Department of Medicine. “They can get sick. They can die. For political theater. Ordered by Trump to put their lives in danger for this theater. This is madness”.
Zeke Emanuel, a television expert and chairman of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania, tweeted: “Having his Secret Service agents drive a Covid-19 patient, who more is with closed windows, puts them at unnecessary risk of infection. And why? A publicity stunt ”.
And Dr. Phillips added in a second tweet that the presidential vehicle was anything but trivial. Protective against chemical attack, it is much better insulated than any other car, which means that the virus circulation is even more marked. “Such a level of irresponsibility is mind-blowing.”
On the same social network, another doctor, Jonathan Reiner, professor of medicine at George Washington University, added: “In the hospital, when we are in contact with a patient with covid-19, we wear equipment complete anti-contagion, gloves, masks, eye protection, a specific mask …. Insisting on the fact that the president’s doctors should have opposed this exit, he concluded by explaining: “We can see well there the extent of their irresponsibility. ”
“The Madness of King Trump Got Covid 19”
The spokesperson for the presidency nevertheless assured that “appropriate” precautions had been taken to protect Donald Trump and his entourage, in particular protective equipment. “The discharge has been validated by the medical team as safe,” added Judd Deere.
Despite this timid justification, in the American media, the presidential spree absolutely did not pass. For example, the Los Angeles Times published an editorial in which the Californian daily compared Donald Trump’s whim to “The Madness of King George”, a 1994 film which recounts the medical masquerade intended to serve the public image of George III, king. England in declining mental health at the end of the 18th century.
Shortly after this discharge, the White House reported that the president had returned to the hospital. “I learned a lot about the Covid, I learned it by experiencing it myself, it is the school of life”, he for his part declared Donald Trump in a video message. posted on Twitter about Covid 19, thanking his doctors and the “great patriots” who watch over him outside.
After two nights in the hospital, cautious optimism prevailed this Sunday among those around him, even if the White House doctor finally admitted that his patient’s initial condition had been more serious than what had been officially declared at the end. last week.
Doing an about-face compared to his press briefing on Saturday, Doctor Sean Conley has indeed confirmed that Donald Trump had indeed needed an additional supply of oxygen on Friday, for about an hour, at the White House, an episode judged worrying enough to decide on hospitalization in the evening.
“I was worried about a potentially rapid progression of the disease, I recommended the president supplementation with oxygen,” said Sean Conley, who says Donald Trump was not short of breath, however. The doctor admitted that he had not revealed this incident the day before to project an “optimistic” image. While Presidential Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, at the same time, told reporters the previous 24 hours had been very worrying.
Sean Conley also announced that on Saturday morning another episode of declining oxygen saturation had occurred. Also on Saturday, doctors gave the president a third treatment, dexamethasone, a corticosteroid effective against severe forms of covid-19, in addition to the antiviral remdesivir and the experimental cocktail from Regeneron, which were administered as of Friday.
Despite this, the medical team said on Sunday that the improvement in symptoms was such that they were preparing for Donald Trump’s return to the White House, pperhaps as early as Monday, where he could continue including injections of remdesivir, the intravenous treatment to last five days. “Our hope is to get him out of the hospital tomorrow and continue his treatment from the White House,” said one of the team’s doctors, Dr Brian Garibaldi.
A decisive phase in the coming days
Sean Conley, however, declined to describe the state of Donald Trump’s lungs, with the question of the aftermath of such a heavy burden as the presidency of the United States. He only replied, “We made some expected observations, but nothing major from a clinical point of view.”
Donald Trump thus applied Sunday to give the image of a president admittedly hospitalized, but at work, and even “firmly in control”, according to Robert O’Brien, his national security adviser, on the television channel CBS. He’s started tweeting and calling again, as witnessed by his son Eric, advisor Jason Miller, and Fox News anchor Jeanine Pirro.
The septuagenarian broadcast photographs of him “at work” from the hospital, and he posted two videos from the hospital. On Saturday evening, he admitted that the next few days would be “the real test”, covid-19 being notorious for the sudden degradation that some patients undergo after a tolerable initial phase.